Monday, October 4, 2010

Why "English for Recess"?


When I sat down and decided to start a blog, it took me a while before I came up with this title.  At first, I was thinking about something really dry but to the point, like Molly Hurford: Student Teacher, but that was just too boring.  Then, I thought about what my most vivid memories relating to English and reading were.

I've always been a huge bookworm.  I read early and fast, and by eight- not to brag- I had read Gone with the Wind (though the rape scene was lost on me) and "taught" my little sister and our stuffed animals about what Romeo and Juliet was really about (two families fighting over dumb stuff).  I was a strange kid. 

In addition to reading at home and in class, I read a lot during school- especially during lunch and recess.  Who needed real life friends when I had friends like Lyra from The Golden Compass?  Don't get me wrong- I had friends, but playing with a lot of kids at recess wasn't my cup of tea.  I preferred playing with my neighbor and best friend after school in our yard, exploring the woods behind out houses and building our own forts.

However, the powers that be decided that my anti-social behavior was a bad thing, and banned me from reading at lunch and recess.  So, I went underground- I sewed a pocket in my jacket and smuggled books like contraband onto the playground every day.  I was a resourceful fourth grader!
Though my shy-ness wore off and I did occasionally play at recess when I was in the mood, I never got over the whole "being banned from reading" thing, and it's stuck with me all these years.  Now that I'm thinking about my teaching philosophy, I realize that they were wrong to ban me from reading.  Sure, I needed to have friends, but had they talked to me, they would have realized that I was just fine.

Basically, the point of my blog is that I want kids to want to read at recess!  I want them to take English outside of the classroom and have fun with it!  I decided to take some fun pictures of myself on the playground now having fun with my reading instead of actually playing, because I believe that it really highlights how I feel about reading in general, but also how it embodies my teaching philosophy.  I hope you enjoy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment